Friday, May 1, 2009

Is Something Wrong With My Kids??

Or is something wrong with their mom? Let me explain.....
I was never really much of a coffee drinker until I met my husband. I drink more than my fair share now, but I am not your typical coffee drinker either. I could drink straight black coffee if I was dying of thirst (which if I was you would think that I would opt for something cooler) but find it to be a much more enjoyable experience if I add sugar and cream. (I know that most people say "cream and sugar" but I say it in the order of which is more) ANYWAY, when my oldest child was little she got a taste of my coffee and liked it. After that she thought that she should just have coffee every morning. I would fix it in a sippy cup that was 1 part coffee to 3 parts milk. (at least she was getting her calcium) Well, when Madison came along she had gotten a hold of the sippy cup a few times and she decided that she liked it too. From then on it became a morning ritual to wake the girls up with their "coffee". I began to question this ritual when they started to lay in bed and yell out "Coffee". When people (mostly relatives) would hear the story of how my children drink coffee every morning they would say "aren't you afraid it will stunt their growth?" First of all, I think that is an old wives's tale and secondly, they are Myrstol's.....do you really think it matters Eddie?!?!
A few years later along came Gabriel. Yup, you guessed it....he also acquired a taste for the "java". When Rollie came along, he too has joined in the family tradition! There are days that I watch my youngest play and wonder "I hope that the coffee is not what made him just trip over that blade of grass or make that bad decision to stomp on the cat's tail!" I think maybe that might have something to do with just being a boy! I don't think the coffee (mostly milk) can be all that bad....when we go to the doctor they never ask, "does your child drink a lot of coffee?" I don't see how a little bit of coffee can be any worse than pop or candy. Yes, I am one of those mom's that let her children eat candy and drink pop.....but DEFINITELY not for breakfast....that is when they have coffee!

2 comments:

  1. There's more caffeine in Pepsi than coffee. But if you're worried, switch 'em to decaf and see if they notice! I think morning coffee is more ritual than chemical anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny... Look at it this way, if giving them coffee is the worst thing you do, then you are WAY ahead the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete